[SWLUG] can anyone help? Installing avi-xmms

Telsa Gwynne hobbit at aloss.ukuu.org.uk
Wed Feb 16 11:56:28 UTC 2005

On Wed, Feb 16, 2005 at 11:03:24AM +0000 or thereabouts, dan wrote:
> Peter Prior wrote:
>
> >Do you have gcc installed ?
> >you can check by doing: rpm -qa |grep gcc

> yeha i think so
>
> [dan at localhost ~]$ rpm -qa |grep gcc
> gcc-3.0.4-3
> libgcc-3.4.3-4
> [dan at localhost ~]$

There is something horribly wrong here. Generally, different rpms
which go together should be the same version number (because they
all came from the same source originally). So "foo", "libfoo" and
"foo-devel" should all have the same version number.

Your gcc packages don't match each other, let alone what I would
expect to see on Fedora Core 3. I have gcc-3.4.2-6.fc3 and friends,
for what it's worth, on FC3.

I have the nasty feeling that you installed these using a --force
or a --nodeps option to rpm. Did you?

Out of curiosity, does "rpm -V gcc libgcc" report anything, or
only silence? (-V is --verify).

Incidentally, my earlier message seems not to have arrived yet;
but is the point of this exercise to learn how to compile, or to
get something onto the machine which will play video files? If
it's the latter, there is lots ready-compiled for Fedora, and
it will be faster to get one of those from a reputable rpm site.
http://freshrpms.net/ is a good start: look for totem, xine or
mplayer. If you use Gnome, you probably want totem.

Telsa