[SWLUG] can anyone help? Installing avi-xmms

Telsa Gwynne hobbit at aloss.ukuu.org.uk
Wed Feb 16 10:15:49 UTC 2005

On Wed, Feb 16, 2005 at 01:10:56AM +0000 or thereabouts, dan wrote:
> Hi all
>
> can anyone answer this one for me please? as i have spent a whole day
> trying to work this out sorry i am a bit of a noob (i am using fedora 3)
>
> [dan at localhost avi-xmms-1.2.3]$ ./configure && make && make install
> checking for a BSD compatible install... /usr/bin/install -c
> checking whether make sets ${MAKE}... yes
> checking for working aclocal... found
> checking for working autoconf... found
> checking for working automake... found
> checking for working autoheader... found
> checking for working makeinfo... missing
> checking for gcc... gcc
> checking whether the C compiler (gcc  ) works... no
> configure: error: installation or configuration problem: C compiler

(I deleted the config.log: this contains much the same information
which whizzed up the screen, so that you can look through it later.)

The error is this last group of lines. You do not have a compiler
installed. Compilers are not installed by default on Fedora. You
have to pick particular options in the install to get them.

So what is the problem you are trying to solve here? The configure
error, and then battle on and compile the software; or (looking at
what you're trying to install and what I know of Fedora), do you
just want something which will play videos? (DVDs, mpegs, whatever)

As I see it, you have two choices:

Either install the compiler and probably a lot of other libraries
too and plod through compiling this. The compiler will be called
something like gcc-versionnumberhere.i386.rpm on the Fedora CDs.

Or just install something that plays the files in the first place
(which I assume is what you want to do). If you just want to watch
AVI files, there are lots of other choices which are already
packaged for Fedora which may (depending on codecs) play them.

	xine:	http://xinehq.de/
	totem:  http://www.hadess.net/totem.php3
	mplayer:http://www.mplayerhq.hu

There are packages for Fedora Core 3 for all of these. Because
of silliness to do with things which are legal in the rest of
the world but not in America, Red Hat can't mention to Fedora
users that there are certain sites out there which carry
particular software. And typically, the software in question
is associated with "multimedia" creation or playback.

If you look at http://freshrpms.net/ you'll see a long long
list of packages down the side, and all of those applications
I mentioned are there.

Personally, rather than trying to build them (mplayer in particular
was infamous for giving snotty messages if you used the "wrong"
compiler), I would just grab totem (if you are using Gnome) or xine,
and any dependencies, off freshrpms or a similar site.

Are you using the rpm command itself, or the simpler front-ends
to it which work out dependencies, such as yum or apt? Or a GUI
tool of some description? (People keep writing more.)

Telsa