[SWLUG] Getting my scanner working

Tony Pursell ajp at princeswalk.fsnet.co.uk
Tue Feb 22 22:47:48 UTC 2005

On 22 Feb 2005 at 20:40, Jonathan Price wrote:

> It looks like it might be a problem with udev (the system that
> dynamically manages your /dev folder), as the /.dev is where udev puts
> your static dev directory. Your best bet would be to try the udev or
> ubuntu lists, to see if it is an known issue with that device. (I am
> fairly sure that ubuntu uses udev)

Thanks Jono.  I'll have a look at that - I really do need some pointers to
the way modern Linux manages devices.  Its obviously quite different to
the way devices were managed in the unix of old.   However, I'm
wondering if the fact that I didn't have the scanner switched on when I
installed Ubuntu means that the generic scsi devices were flagged as
not needed at runtime, in some way.

Tony