[SWLUG] Starting with Linux

Richard Smedley richard.smedley03 at ntlworld.com
Tue Jan 18 17:59:19 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-01-18 at 17:28 +0000, Gerald Davies wrote:

> > I want to start using Linux on a brand-new desktop machine (not yet
> > bought). Are there any Linux-savvy PC builders in Cardiff who can build
> > me a box and install and configure a Linux OS on it. I'm thinking... Debian.
>
> Without wanting to sound a little harsh, wouldn't you be better off
> installing the OS yourself?

<delurks>
Doesn't that rather depend upon what Hugh wants to do with it?

If he buys a box (x86, ppc, whatever) with Debian Testing on
it, only becomes root to install and update software, and
just does the regular things that people do on home PCs then
it will run unbroken for years.

After curiosity gets the better of him and he fixes it 'til
it breaks, that's a fine time to learn installation - and
not too hard if whoever builds the box leaves a few notes
behind on the config (or, better still, a zipped up drive
image :^)

I expect most people enjoy tinkering on their computers, I
certainly am guilty of this strange condition myself, but
there's nothing wrong with wanting to buy a computer that
works straight out of the box - a possible reason why so
many have given up Free Software for the convenience of
OS-X on their powerbooks? - and the availability of
pre-installed GNU can only be seen as a good thing (always
assuming anyone can point to such a beast for the original
poster).

However, it is a good point. Installing Debian (pre-Sarge installer)
is certainly a learning process ;-P
(Of course there's always Ubuntu/Knoppix/etc to make it easy :-)

</delurks>

 - Richard

--

www.kyfieithu.co.uk - Meddalwedd Rhydd yn Gymraeg