[SWLUG] Starting with Linux

Richard Smedley richard.smedley03 at ntlworld.com
Tue Jan 18 19:21:33 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-01-18 at 18:30 +0000, Gerald Davies wrote:
> Apologies, I thought he wanted to learn ;)

Hmm. I'm not saying you don't have a valid point, just
that it's not the _only_ point. When I started with
*nix I didn't have root priveleges, but I still learned
things. Now I continue to learn things every day on
my GNU boxes at home, and I'm glad to have root, but
installing a GNU/Linux distro isn't the /only/ way
into learning - and with most installers you learn
next to nothing nowadays, they just have things to click :-/

Another way would be to buy a turnkey solution, learn
the filesystem, network tools, GRUB, what happens on
boot-up, bash and/or zsh, Emacs, ftp, etc., etc., etc.
Then perhaps do an install that really teaches like LFS.

Perhaps if the original poster had not said:
> Any other tips and advice welcome too.
he would have got the first part of his question
answered ;^)

Pob hwyl,

 - Richard

btw Hugh, I'm not in Cardiff, and I'm a bit busy at
the moment, but if you have no joy finding one feel
free to contact me offlist in a few days

--
Grants for Free Software development in the UK:
http://www.affs.org.uk/grants/