[SWLUG] Starting with Linux

Dafydd Harries daf at muse.19inch.net
Tue Jan 18 19:38:40 UTC 2005

Ar 18/01/2005 am 18:30, ysgrifennodd Gerald Davies:
> Apologies, I thought he wanted to learn ;)

Well, the fact that he's planning to switch to Linux makes me think that
Hugh is willing to learn.

Given that installing a distribution is usually harder than actually
using it, I see no problem with choosing to let somebody else worry for
the installation for you, and concentrating on learning things which you
actually care about. :)

I suspect there are computer builders who will install Linux for you,
but I also suspect that there aren't very many of them. It may be easier
to buy from somebody who will build the PC you want without an operating
system, and find somebody else who will do the installation for you.

Despite what I've just said, though, installers are much better than
they used to be. If you take care to choose hardware that is known to
work with Linux, and don't have to worry about preserving an existing
Windows installation, a Linux install can be very easy.

If you do decide to try the install yourself, the Debian Testing (Sarge)
installer is vastly improved over the Stable (Woody, 3.0) one. Also,
there are a number of Debian users around (myself included) who will be
happy to help if things go wrong.

--
Dafydd