[SWLUG] Starting with Linux

Gareth Bowker tgb at tgb.org.uk
Tue Jan 18 20:01:23 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-01-18 at 17:05 +0000, Hugh Morris wrote:
> Hi Everyone
>
> I want to start using Linux on a brand-new desktop machine (not yet
> bought). Are there any Linux-savvy PC builders in Cardiff who can build
> me a box and install and configure a Linux OS on it. I'm thinking... Debian.

I'm not sure about one who will *install* it, but Jazz computers have
appeared fairly clued-up when I've been in there.

If you're thinking of Linux as a desktop machine, I'd suggest Ubuntu -
it's based on Debian but it's tailored to the desktop, so it installs
most of what you (probably!) want. The install is pretty painless too.

It's probably worth reading their wiki[1] in the different bits of
hardware that's supported and maybe have a search through the users
mailing list to see if anyone has any specific hints/tips about the
hardware you're thinking of getting.

As Dick's just mentioned, if you want to do anything with 3d graphics,
then a good bet is one of the ATI/nVIDIA cards (ubuntu is fairly
painless to switch to use the proprietary drivers for these cards).

Good luck!

Gareth

[1] http://www.ubuntulinux.org/wiki/