[SWLUG] Re: Discuss Digest, Vol 5, Issue 20

Adam Rykala adam at rykala.demon.co.uk
Thu Jan 27 17:09:27 UTC 2005

Rhys Sage wrote:
>>The only thing I *would* say with Mandrake is that
>>as a general rule (in
>>my experience anyway) how the mouse behaves during
>>the install is the
>>opposite of how it behaves post-install.  Weird I
>>know but true.  Many
>>times I've installed and found the mouse to work
>>during install, but
>>then dies running the installed system.  However
>>I've always got it to
>>run with a little fiddling.
>>
>>In other words, don't despair if it doesn't work
>>during the install,
>>just go ahead anyway :)
>>

>That's bizarre. I installed Mandrake 10.1 and found my
>mouse worked as normal all the way - during and after
>installation.
>
>If only using Mandrake had been as good. The dial-up
>is less than intuitive.

The major factor behind my move from MDK to SuSE was 10.1 absolutely
hosing my dialup settings, and I just couldn't get it to reconnect.
Seeing as I was due Broadband in a few weeks after I didn't fancy trying
to fight it for the Speedtouch modem, and so I flipped over to SuSE 9.1,
because Linux Magazine gave away a free full dvd of 9.1 Pro.

So far its been excellent, the Speedtouch took a little fiddling but its
been mostly excelent, restoring my IMAP folders for me and my wife was
childsplay and so far its been nought but good with SuSE, so much so
that my wife chose it as well when XP went to the great bitbucket in the
sky for the last time

(with a Quantum Mechanics exam tomorrow arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!)

	/Adam Rykala/
/adam at rykala.demon.co.uk/
	/There is a natural hootchy-kootchy to a goldfish.
-- Walt Disney
/