[SWLUG] Re: Wow, seen this on Slashdot?

Telsa Gwynne hobbit at aloss.ukuu.org.uk
Sun Jan 30 18:47:12 UTC 2005

On Sun, Jan 30, 2005 at 06:12:01PM +0000 or thereabouts, Rhys Sage wrote:

> Linux, being free, has a problem in that malicious
> code could possibly be secreted within the structure
> of a distribution - code that might not be identified
> until it's initiated which could happen some years
> down the road.

I'm not clear what you mean by "within the structure of
the distribution". Do you mean $distro sees NeatApp-1.0
and packages it, without realising that there is some
malicious code in it? Or do you mean something else?

It's the word "structure" which is confusing me. It makes
it sound like perhaps you mean something different: something
inside the distribution-specific tools?

>                     Linux also has a wide userbase of
> people with no money and loads of spare time. This is

How do you know? I thought that no-one knows for certain
how many people use Linux, let alone what a statistical
breakdown of them would show. The distros who have support
departments will know what problems people report most
commonly, but that's about it.

Telsa