[SWLUG] Not seeing the Code for the IDE

justin at discordia.org.uk justin at discordia.org.uk
Mon Jan 31 12:42:47 UTC 2005

On 30 Jan, peter wrote:
> They are styles only in a very superficial sense.  What I am referring
> to is the necessity to have a massive superstructure available to
> support this kind (style, if you like) of development.
This is perhaps the source of the confusion, this kind of infrastructure
isnt really a part of the IDE per se, its shipped with it as it all
comes from the same supplier.

I think this has lead to a perception that linux doesnt have useful
tools and structure like this, just because it doesnt come all in one
lump from a single supplier.

I think thats just down to differences in philosophy, the general
unix/linux philosophy that everything should be modular and
interchangable, components come from a very wide range of sources.

Meaning that you may not see a single downloadable / purchasable system
that impliments all the tools that you want to use, because they are
likely already there, or available for free, from dozens of suppliers,
and they all fit together to make up the features that on windows you
would have bought in a single package from say borland.

Therefore i re-assert my original Wood From the Trees stance.