[SWLUG] John the Ripper (and the benefits of clear documentation)

Foeh Mannay foeh.mannay at ntlworld.com
Mon Jan 31 22:42:53 UTC 2005

Well, you'd think wouldn't you... :o)

The character set files are in some weird john the ripper specific
format, and the only way I seem to be able to make one is using john's
automatic probability algorithm that works on your previously broken
passwords. I can't find any way to influence what it puts into the file,
annoyingly!

According to the documentation I've found you should be able to put
lines in the ini that say for the first character pick from this list,
for the second pick from this list, etc, but it won't work without a
character list, which then overwrites the preferences you specify :o(