[SWLUG] Re: Accessing hard drive partitions

Paul G. Richardson phantompgr at btopenworld.com
Fri Jul 15 18:55:55 UTC 2005

Rhys,

Can do one of many things, two suggestions would be:

1.
Download a CD only distro like knoppix and run on laptop.
Mount the current XP partition under knoppix using the mount command to
something of your choosing, eg. /mnt/XPDir (need to make directory first
though)
Determine the device name of the recovery partition, eg. /dev/hda1.
Use the dd command to backup the recovery partition as a partition file
to the XP partition, eg. dd if=/dev/hda1 of=/mnt/XPDir/RecPartition
(think that is all the syntax required might need to read the man page
for anything extra)
Partition is saved and can be restored at anytime to an empty 5GB
partition by reversing the paremters on dd, eg.
dd if=/mnt/XPDir/RecPartition of=/dev/hda1

2.
Do the same process but first install your linux distro over XP home on
the rest of the hard drive. Then dd off the 5GB recovery partition and
format the partition and use as a backup drive or /opt etc...

Regards

PGR

- --
P.G. Richardson

Email: phantompgr at btopenworld.com

- ---

"There is no present or future, only the past
happening over and over again now."
Eugene O'Neille

"History is the nightmare from which I am trying
to awake."
James Joyce