[SWLUG] Re: Xandros experience

Julian Hall lists at kaotic.co.uk
Tue Jul 19 22:54:20 UTC 2005

Lyn David Thomas wrote:

>I think it would....
>
>On the other hand it would be ideal for Vector Linux Soho 5.01

I'd agree.

http://www.vectorlinux.com/

Stated system spec for SOHO 5.01

    * Processor: Pentium III compatible or better (so you may use AMD).
    * Hard disk: 3 GB for the system, then you need more for your
      personal files.
    * Memory: 128 MB, spare 256 MB for comfort.
    * Video card and Monitor capable of 1024x768 resolution, 24 bits.
    * Standard mouse, keyboard, sound card, CDROM, etc.

http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/vectorlinux/docs/miscellaneous/version_table.html

Standard always takes less welly than SOHO so you ought to be OK with
the lower spec machine.  Failing 5.01 you could always backtrack to 4.3
which needs lower spec again, and it's not *that* old either.

You can get all of them from here:
ftp://ftp.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/vectorlinux/

I'd be inclined to put SOHO on the Dell and Standard or "Download
Edition" on the 128Mb system.

Not wishing to chucjk another spanner in the works, but Xandros (
http://www.xandros.com/products/home/desktopstd/dsk_std_systemreq.html )
works in 128 also, although it "prefers" 256Mb :)  BTW I just read the
blurb and found out it is Debian *Sarge* based.

Kind regards,

Julian