[SWLUG] NTL AND LInux

Justin justin at discordia.org.uk
Wed Jun 15 13:58:05 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-06-15 at 14:33 +0100, Neil Jones wrote:
> Does anyone know about the installation process with NTL?
>
> I am trying to get a family member on the net and the plan is to use a linux
> only machine.
>
> When I went on NTL I had windows. The concerns I have concer start up. Do they
> expect you to have windows? How do you get registered with thier system
> without Windows.

Last i knew all their cable modems have both usb and ethernet,
and the registration process goes:

1. plug cable modem into ethernet card, get dhcp lease
2. open browser, type in url for ntlword website
3. get magically redirected to the 'you havent registered yet' page
4. fill in username and password from supplied paperwork
5. the cm infrastructure detects your hardware address for you
6. reboot modem and surf as normal.

been a few years since i needed to do that, but i dont think its changed
very much, i was recently able to upgrade my service using moz on linux