[SWLUG] Mandrake firewall blocking browsing via SAMBA

Stephanos stephanos at writeme.com
Fri Jun 24 20:18:49 UTC 2005

Dear All

Networking and ports are a minefield of information of which I know very
little.  As I go on to describe  my set up please do not get the
impression that I am very knowledgeable.  It works more as a result of
wrestling than dancing.

I have a duel boot laptop that is running Mandrake 10.1 (and Windows
98SE). This connects via a switch to a Windows 98SE PC.  The Switch
connects to a Smoothwall box which in turn connects to a Surfboard (NTL)
cable modem.

I have not tried to configure the Smoothwall box yet but I have
maintained the updates.  I have printed out the installation and
configuration pdf files and in time hope to learn enough to make sense
of them.  I have joined the Smoothwall community group as well.

The Windows 98SE PC has a Kaspersky firewall on it and allows me to
control the outgoing traffic.  It is set to alert me to allow trusted
applications that I use and understand to connect to the web and to
alert me if any other application tries to connect.

Mandrake has come with a firewall as well.  I recently realised that it
was turned off.  I turned it on and allowed (ticked) all the options;
Web Server, DNS, SSH server, FTP server, Mail server, POP and IMAP
server, Telnet server, Samba server, CUPS server, Echo request (ping).
Though I suspect I do not need all of these ticked.  Then I set about
testing all the inter(networking) activities.  Such as browsing, pop
mail, ftp, ping.  These worked.

However, since turning on my Mandrake Firewall and enabling everything I
cannot connect to the PC using Samba or LinNeighbourhood, for the
purposes of file browsing and transfer.

My limited understanding about my set up is that Smoothwall will control
  entry into my network and Kaspersky and the Mandrake firewalls will
control data leaving my network.

It would appear that no matter how I configure the Kaspersky Firewall on
the PC it has no bearing on the matter.  No firewall on Mandrake allows
me to use Samba and Lin Neighb... and enabled firewall on Mandrake with
all options ticked does not.

I know I will learn a lot from this problem but where do I start and
what can I read to get to grips with this problem.

Any help appreciated

Stephen