[SWLUG] Re: Employment agencies

Rhys Sage rhys_sage at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 1 19:19:39 UTC 2005

I personally would recommend putting all the agencies
from Jobserve into a blacklist of bad agencies.

I tried for about 18 months - 2 years to get work out
of agencies that advertise there and failed
completely.

I actually found an off-the-wall solution that seems
to have got me out of the unemployed situation but
which won't (probably) help you.

Might I suggest that programming work is exactly what
you should not be doing since all the major software
houses seem to be employing cheap overseas labour?

You could set up selling shareware via digital river
or share it but I can't say as I can recommend it as a
source of income. I think I've sold 3 downloads in 3
years via share it.

The business I will be starting (don't worry - if you
set up in Britain you won't be getting my hard boys to
come and put you out of business) will be an online
shop selling lingerie. This is, however, a sideline of
my off-the-wall solution.

I think they key thing to remember is that the
computer industry is transporting all but essential
roles to India, China and Russia. The essential roles
that need a body on the ground are technician and
network engineering positions. Pretty much anything
that can be done somewhere else is being done elsewhere.