[SWLUG] Re: Giving up Windows

Gerald Davies gerald.davies at gmail.com
Wed Mar 2 15:24:11 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2 Mar 2005 14:46:03 +0000, Adam Rykala <adam at rykala.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> I used http://speedtouchconf.sourceforge.net's software and instructions -
> worked like a charm

i wish i could say the same.  i tried that and quite a few other
tutorials, but i think i'm a few distros before things got supported.
the box is a p200 with 64megs of ram and i'm a bit sceptical about
installing anything remotely new on it. i'm one of those
geeks/cheapskates that likes to get the most out of hardware and uses
it for years :-)

i dunno, i'll wait and see tonight if my DSL is activated before
making decisions.

i know i'm asking a lot, but do any of the modern ADSL wifi routers
come with some form of basic DNS capability?   (i'd miss my crappy
p200 doing DNS for me, unless of course i run it on something else).
I've noticed there are "super" wifi routers around like the netgear.
they mention DNS but i don't know if they mean "it'll forward requests
to your dns servers of choice"...etc.  Also static-IP addresses in the
DHCP would be useful too for obvious reasons. heh.

Any recommendations whilst I'm on this subject?