[SWLUG] Re: Giving up Windows

Steve Anderson steve at twindx.com
Wed Mar 2 15:33:56 UTC 2005

Gerald Davies wrote:

> i know i'm asking a lot, but do any of the modern ADSL wifi routers
> come with some form of basic DNS capability?

My old (non-wifi) ADSL router has a caching DNS server. Very handy
because when the BT Broadband DNS goes down (as it often does) our
company can still make do with the Zen Internet one being handled by my
router, whereas the company we share offices with weep into their cups
of tea. =)

It also has static IP addresses (all my boxes get the same IP address as
they had last time because of the caching snafu as mentioned
previously). Given this is/was a basic, budget box I'd be VERY surprised
if these features aren't the norm. As far as I can tell, the router is a
tiny FreeBSD box so it has the same network needs as any other PC would
for DNS and everything.

Steve