[SWLUG] Re: Giving up Windows

Foeh Mannay foeh.mannay at ntlworld.com
Wed Mar 2 16:41:39 UTC 2005

> You mean it forces you to do NAT?
Yup. You can do a "DMZ host" (1:1ish mapping) but it's *got* to be
NATed.

> That's quite horrible.
Sure is. I was going to have some VPNs but I gave up being bothered when
I read it allowed some really contrived VPN passthrough that sounded
like it wouldn't let you host :o(

> have an IP subnet from the ISP and give
> your machines real IP addresses (this is what I do).

I was going to do that, but when I saw the state on the router I
realised I couldn't unless I extended the phone line upstairs, so I
knocked that idea on the head too.

To apply any new firewall rules you have to restart the router as well.
I mean what does it run on? Windows ME?

Maybe it's because I work on Cisco kit all day as a job... but I really,
really, really hate the thing. Not as much as I'd hate spending out on a
Cisco ADSL router, though!

Foeh