[SWLUG] Re: Giving up Windows

Tony Pursell ajp at princeswalk.fsnet.co.uk
Wed Mar 2 17:38:07 UTC 2005

On 2 Mar 2005 at 16:12, Foeh Mannay wrote:

> I have a Netgear wifi router DG824M (the old 802.11b one). I have to
> say it's absolute dog s**t. It's supposed to relay DNS (not sure

My Netgear DG834G is OK.  Supports me running 98/Ubuntu and the
missus running ME with no problems (both hard-wired, though we have
had a visitor with a wireless laptop that loved it).

> As you can guess, I'd recommend netgear to anyone... NOT!

So cannot agree with you there

> OTOH the netgear wifi cards (PCI & PCMCIA) work great in Linux, even
> allowing me to use monitor mode to sniff encrypted traffic.

My Netgear PCI card gave me probs when I was using Debian - until I
learnt that it used the natsemi module - not very intuitive.  But Ubuntu
had no problem with it.

Tony