[SWLUG] E-Mail inMozilla & Thunderbird not printing properly

Stephanos stephanos at writeme.com
Thu Mar 3 18:50:01 UTC 2005

Dear Dick and others

I got through my previous problem that no printing was possible by
following Dicks advice and deleting the printer in CUPS and reinstalling.
Printing is OK in KMail and all other applications, including Kate and
Open Office.  The printer is an Epson C80 and is well supported in
CUPS.  I am using Mandrake 10.1 and KDE 3.2?

So I remain with the original problem as described below.
In both Thunderbird and Mozilla and irrespective of using either
1) the default Print Command of "lpr
${MOZ_PRINTER_NAME:+'-P'}${MOZ_PRINTER_NAME}"
2) kprinter --stdin
3) xpp
when I try to print out an e-mail words are missing from the end of each
line.  The text does not flow to the next line.

Mandrake tech suport are baffeled as well.  They have given me some
advice of

- Have you checked paper size settings in both your e-mail client\'s page
layout settings and in kprinter or xpp? They must all match your actual
paper\'s size. You can most probably also set border widths in the mail
client\'s page layout settings. Choose values of at least 1 cm or half an
inch as most printers cannot print up to the borders.

- If your printing messes up completely, you probably have something
weird in your .lpoptions file in your home directory. Rename the file
and try again. The .lpoptions file is used to save the options in xpp
and kprinter and for CUPS in general. The options saved there are used
by the xpp and kprinter interfaces but also by the lp and lpr commands.

Both of which I have tried.   I will contact them again, just in case

I have set up KMail and test printed from there.  Works perfectly.  If I
am to end up using KMail it only remains for me to import all my
existing e-mails and address book.

Meanwhile does anyone have any experience of this problem which has
remained a long term feature since SuSe 6 and Mandrake 8.  It is, I am
please to say the last hurdle before I completely migrate (in planed
stages) to Linux.  Thuderbird is a very nice mail client and it would
now be my first choice if I could get it to print.

Thanks all

Stephen (Swansea, South Wales)
PS Firefox renders better than Opera and Mozilla, I was very suprised.
I am going over to Firefox