[SWLUG] NTL Cable modem problems in MDK10.0 install

Julian Hall lists at kaotic.co.uk
Mon Mar 7 12:28:56 UTC 2005

Steve Hill wrote:

> NTL cable modems have a USB port and an ethernet port - using USB is a
> bad idea at the best of times and of course ethernet is fully
> supported under linux.  ISTR that you just need a dhcp client running
> on your linux machine and it should Just Work.

I have NTL and a cablemodem installed under MDK 10.1, previously 10.0,
9.1 and 9.0 without any problems.  The problem your friend has, Marcus,
is that he probably let the engineer set it up for him, and they are
*told* to set it up on USB.  As Steve says all you need to do is unplug
it from USB, plug it into a handy Ethernet port and job's a good un :)

Kind regards,

Julian