[SWLUG] Strange YAST behaviour installing frm rpm

peter apvx95 at dsl.pipex.com
Fri Mar 11 17:51:52 UTC 2005

On SuSE 9.2, the easy way to install from an rpm is to navigate to the
package in Konqueror, click on the package, select Install with YaST,
give the root password and sit back with your popcorn.  However, since I
installed snort the other day (I need it for a course I'm doing), every
time I try to install something (anything) this way YaST reports the
following problem:

snort 2.2.0-3 conflict, snort requires libpcap.so.0.6.2

Now the above statement is true, and when I first installed snort (or
tried to) I got this message, which I fixed by creating a link called
libpcap.so.0.6.2 to libpcap.so.0.8.1 (the version installed with SuSE
9.2).  This may or may not have been a good idea, but it worked OK and
snort installed fine, and it seems to run just fine too.

But why am I getting this error when I try to install packages that have
nothing to do with snort?

If I say to ignore the conflict, I'm returned to YaST with no reference
to the package I'm trying to install.  Any YaST/SuSE experts out there?

Weird.

Peter