[SWLUG] Broadband in Ponty.

Mike C mike at iamthepenguin.com
Sun Mar 13 10:46:38 UTC 2005

On Saturday 12 Mar 2005 21:20, Gerald Davies wrote:

> umm, i was on the roath exchange in cardiff since it was enabled
> (early 2000-ish) and i've only just been able to receive it.  don't
> assume just because your exchange supports xDSL that you can get it!

Ok, that makes me think I might actually ring BT to find out. Cheers for that,
having never used anything but cable broadband before, I might not have
checked on that further.

> i can't answer that - i've only just signed up with pipex, but it
> wasn't 2mb.  its just been bumped up to 1mb.

Cheers, I'll have a look at them

> can't see why not.  not sure there would be any "linux-related"
> pitfalls if you're connecting one router to what is essentially
> another router.  the only difference is wifi.  i guess you could just
> plug in the modem router as normal and have the AP hanging off it (is
> it one of those 4port jobs?).  x-over cable might be required
> depending on what you do and what the hardware is.

Yeah, it's a Linksys wrt54g wireless router with 4 ports etc. I'm thinking it
should be fine, but I get really confused with all this PPoE or PPoA stuff
because i've never had need to learn about it. From the research i've done,
your probably right.....just use the router as an AP from whatever supplied
modem I get. Just wanna be sure really.

Thanks

Mike