[SWLUG] Giving up Windows

Steve Anderson steve at twindx.com
Mon Mar 14 09:49:15 UTC 2005

Going back a fortnight with this one...

Steve Hill wrote:

> On Tue, 1 Mar 2005, Steve Anderson wrote:
>
>> Ah, I know MythTV. Not really what I'm aiming for (though an excellent
>> project). I'm not after recording directly to my Linux box, but rather
>> to extract and manipulate the MPEG streams my DVD recorder makes. (My
>> better half would be baffled by a full PVR, and she's responsible for
>> most of the recording.)
>

> You can suck the MPEG data off a DVD with mencoder, but it isn't exactly
> a friendly way to do editing.

... for editing, no, but I did attempt to pull the MPEG of the DVD last
night, and got it right second go. I had to RTFM, but TFM was so
logically laid out that I could see and understand what was going on. My
only mistake was not telling it first time around that it was to be an
MPEG and it gave me an AVI wrapped MPEG instead.

But - it was significantly easier than I dreaded. Then I got WINE to run
TMPG DVD Author to edit and author the disc, and Gnome happily burnt the
disc. Result.

Steve