[SWLUG] Re: Run from CD Linux

Rhys Sage rhys_sage at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 14 17:52:30 UTC 2005

Finally I managed to find a trail version of a CD
burning program. It had most features disabled except
for burning an ISO image onto CD. It's called
DeepBurner. Now I've burnt a CD of Slax and I'm
downloading gnoppix.

I'll put that onto CD too. It takes about 2 hours to
download as it seems to download at 115 kbps. I
believe my GF's line is faster than that though.

With luck that means I'll be able to plug a cat-5
crossover cable into the XP Home box and into the
defunct PC in order to rescue the data, running Linux
from CD on the defunct Dell.

I'm fighting a losing battle at the moment with these
PCs. The XP Home box has been screwed up pretty
thoroughly by my GF's ex husband while he visited
their son. The Dell runs win 98 and refuses now to
boot from the hard drive although the data seems
intact follwing an investigation with a bootable dos
cd. The third PC is also a Dell and was declared to be
completely dead by some group calling itself "the geek
squad" and whose impartiality and professionalism I
severely doubt - especially since they work for a
company of box-shifters.

I'm toying with the idea, since time is short, of
buying a hard drive enclosure that plugs into the USB
port. My GF's tax data is on the defunct Dell. This PC
kinda-sorta works. It runs like a dog despite the fact
it has a faster processor than my own PC (which runs
like a hare). Federal taxes are, of course, due next
week.