[SWLUG] Re: Run from CD Linux

Julian Hall lists at kaotic.co.uk
Mon Mar 14 18:19:43 UTC 2005

Rhys Sage wrote:

> The Dell runs win 98 and refuses now to
>boot from the hard drive although the data seems
>intact follwing an investigation with a bootable dos
>cd.

Try booting it into DOS with Network support (F8 boot options).  Then
the CAT5 recovery method ought to work.

Question, as I admit I haven't followed the thread 100%.  Is the exPC
(ie Windows XP Home) on NTFS or FAT32?  If it's NTFS then you could have
hassle with data recovery in DOS.  If that happens your idea of the USB
caddy is the best option.  Besides they're useful to have around anyway :)

Oh.  Thought.  How much actual user data is involved?  Could you get
away with a USB Pendrive of say 256k or 512kb?

Kind regards,

Julian