[SWLUG] Re: Run from CD Linux

Steve Anderson steve at twindx.com
Tue Mar 15 22:30:47 UTC 2005

Gerald Davies wrote:
> On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 21:39:04 +0000 (GMT), Rhys Sage <rhys_sage at yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>>was solid metal. Thus I drilled a hole in the metal in
>>order to access the other screw on the other side of
>>the hard drive.
>>
>>Having done all that I found the drive to be secured
>>by yet more screws - one of which was not visible and
>>the other was covered by a metal strut that appeared
>>to be spot-welded in place. I can't believe Dell
>>builds a computer then spot-welds it so that it cannot
>>be repaired!
>>

> umm, are you sure you opened the case correctly?  this is either a
> windup or i sense incompetence.

Seconded. In all my years of having to open up PCs to fix and/or upgrade
and/or clean muck out of, Dell PCs have been nothing but a joy to deal
with. We have two at work, the most recent of which I had open today to
install a second graphics card, and this involved pushing in two buttons
on the sides and, um, opening it. No screws.

The Dimension 4100 I've got by my feet at the moment can be opened
entirely by one thumbscrew and a load of clips, and it's a doddle to get
into - once the screw's out, push two clips and the side swings open.
Push two more clips once this is done and the front swings open. Take
off the front, and two more clips are exposed - a little stiff, but open
them and the other side opens. The Dimension... forget the number - my
colleague uses at work is much the same.

I did um and ah about how to remove the drive - it was a bit on the loud
side so it was going into some shock absorbers from Maplin (£5 well
spent!) but it was screwed from underneath and the front panel had to be
opened to access them... and it took me maybe 5 minutes from start to
finish.

Seriously, you've buggered up something there! I wish more PCs I had to
work on were as simple to deal with!

Steve