[SWLUG] Re windows explorer in linux

Mark Henderson mark at standardblue.org.uk
Sun Mar 20 09:49:41 UTC 2005

On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 16:46:19 -0000, Alun <alun.pd1 at ntlworld.com> wrote:

> Have I made myself plain
>
> Keith Edmunds says No! LOL
>
> Ok I am running SUSE 9.2 with a KDE desktop
>
> Installing RPM packages I dont know how to install/compile anything else

<snip - I want to add programs to my K menu, and how do I find the file
path?>

> Thanks
>
> OK Keith am I clear now? LOL

Hi Alun,

Just back from holidays, so apols if I'm repeating what someone else has
already said - I didn't come across a reply though.

Basically, you want to be able to launch programs from the K menu (known
in Windows as the 'Start' menu). Dead easy:

On the 'K' menu icon, right-click and select 'menu editor' from the menu
that pops out. You'll then get the contents of the K menu in a tree
structure where you can manipulate and add/remove items with the buttons
along the top and the properties in the right-hand pane. It should be
fairly intuitive, but if you get lost/stuck/confussled, there's a handbook
you can access via the Help menu.

As for finding programs, in the command line, type:
whereis <program name>
so, to find opera, I do:
[mark at ark-royal:mark] $ whereis opera
opera: /usr/bin/opera /usr/lib/opera /usr/share/opera

It'll be the 'opera' in the bin folder as executables are normally kept in
a bin folder of some sort (/usr/bin, /usr/local/bin etc)

Then, that's the path you add to the menu editor to get it to run the
program.

(I'm sure there's a better way to find program executables, but that way
works fine for me :) )

Hope this Helps,

Cheers,

Mark