[SWLUG] How do I check operation of DNS system.

Terry John terry.john at bbc.co.uk
Wed Mar 23 14:38:50 UTC 2005

At the risk of giving lessons on the consumption of eggs...

> I have set up named.conf and a zone file for one of the domains and
named is
>running.

I assume then you are claiming that your server is authoritative for the
domain
Have you done an nslookup and using server yourserver.blah.di.com
checked that it does forward & reverse lookups

>I have my secondary DNS else where.

>However when I try to enter the primary DNS with my Domain registrar
>Godady.com I get "Unavailable error in field Host name".

>Now researching this with google finds someone who has emailed Godaddy
about
>this problem and
>Got the following answer
> "GoDaddy.com limits the transfer of domain names handled by us to
>unrecognized domain name servers in order to protect our customers
interests.
>Please contact your server administrator in order to have these name
servers
>registered with Verisign and to update the status on these DNS
servers."

>I am going to contact Godaddy myself because I find this baffling and
there is
>nothing on Verisign's website. (  have googled it) that makes anysense
in
>relation to this.
>Given that I am using my own brand new nameserver for primary DNS I
seem to be >in a catch 22.
<snip>
>Secondly does this busines of registering nameservers make sense to
anyone.
>When ever I google I get information on how to change the nameservers
on a
>domain I know how to do that it is a trivial exercise It is just that
Godaddy
>doesn't seem to recognise the name of the new nameserver.

When I looked at this with Internic I think, in order to register a
domain you need at least 2 permanently connected name servers. I guess
this is to preserve the confidence in the system in that you can always
at least get a name lookup on every domain. Your domain will be
registered with Verisign as being hosted on Godaddy's nameservers. It
looks as though they are genuinely looking after your interests, there
are a lot of amateurs like me about :-)

Since you are the owner of the domain you should be able to approach
Verisign and ask them to re-allocated the nameservers for your domain to
your name servers.

If it all works out maybe I'll take another look as well :-)

Terry

http://www.bbc.co.uk/

stated.
BBC monitors e-mails sent or received.