[SWLUG] Motorola SB5100 cable modem

Rhys Sage rhys_sage at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 23 15:36:05 UTC 2005

I've an interesting situation here.

I have several PCs running various assorted operating
systems. (Yes. the Dell is now working again).

I'd like to share the broadband connection between all
of the various PCs. As 802.11g equipment is dirt cheap
in the US (especially after the infamous rebates) I'm
thinking of putting a hub/switch straight onto the
cable modem. Thereby hangs a problem - it's a USB
cable modem. I believe all wifi eq has RJ45
connectors. Any suggestions? I could always employ a
low-grade PC as an intermediary server and put SME
Linux on that. That's not a favourite option though as
the power supply in the wife's house is a bit strange
due to a lightning strike last year (which blew up her
last modem).