[SWLUG] Motorola SB5100 cable modem

Steve Anderson steve at twindx.com
Wed Mar 23 16:01:43 UTC 2005

justin at discordia.org.uk wrote:
> On 23 Mar, Rhys Sage wrote:

>>I'd like to share the broadband connection between all
>>of the various PCs. As 802.11g equipment is dirt cheap
>>in the US (especially after the infamous rebates) I'm
>>thinking of putting a hub/switch straight onto the
>>cable modem. Thereby hangs a problem - it's a USB
>>cable modem. I believe all wifi eq has RJ45
>>connectors. Any suggestions?
>
> Throw the usb adsl modem in the bin, they are worthless.

Hang on - are we actually talking ADSL or Cable Modem here? If you mean
ADSL, Justin's right - although some of them have nice cases so rip out
the insides and put an interesting circuit inside.

If, on the other hand, you mean cable modem, then you'll almost
certainly have an ethernet port on there - I don't know of a cable modem
that's supplied as a purely USB flavour. And if it's a recent (past few
years) NTL digibox it'll have an ethernet port specifically for this sat
there, waiting to be hooked up to a router.

Steve