[SWLUG] Brain is not dead but needs help!

Tony Pursell ajp at princeswalk.fsnet.co.uk
Wed Mar 23 17:05:06 UTC 2005

On 23 Mar 2005 at 16:36, Telsa Gwynne wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 15, 2005 at 03:47:07PM +0000 or thereabouts, Telsa Gwynne
> wrote: > On Mon, Mar 14, 2005 at 10:18:15PM -0000 or thereabouts, Plod
> wrote: > > Are there any amongst your number who feel like taking pity
> on me and > > showing me how to do it on my PC?  As a life long USER
> of computers my > > knowledge is flaky at best, and downright wrong
> most of the time.  I have > > read and reread several learn Linux
> books, but have never been able to > > repeat the tutorials on my
> machine.  It just does not look anything like the > > books! [stuff
> about books deleted] > As for showing you how to do it, what is the
> "it", exactly? What > do you want to learn how to do? Is it a direct
> "I use these programs > on Microsoft, what are the Linux equivalent?"
> sort of question? > Or do you want a general introduction to Linux? >
> > What is on your computer already? Does it have a working net >
> connection? Can you burn CDs? Or do you need those to get put on >
> your machine before you can do much more? > > And whereabouts are you
> and is it reachable on public transport? :)
>
> This went off-list at some stage, so a quick summary: Plod is
> somewhere in Cardiff reasonably reachable on the bus; the net
> connection does work (woo); and he was interested in a general
> overview of Linux. But he also specifically wanted to get Samba
> working nicely (currently the Windows boxes won't see the Mandrake
> box); get the machine to call itself by the name he wants rather than
> blah-blah-custxxx.cdif.cable.ntl.com; and once he is happy with Linux,
> then later on run a website off the Linux box.
>
> Erm. I shall learn to write shorter sentences.
>
> I know absolutely nothing about samba, or smbs or shares. I can
> say "this is Linux and it can do this and this and this and here's a
> neat trick". But it won't help with "why won't boxA see boxB?"
>
> So: any samba-users want to add anything?
>
> Telsa

Not a SAMBA user xactly.  As I said before, I tried to get it running
when I had Debian install (now replaced by Ubuntu).  I think the point I
got to was that I needed my wife's ME machine to use a Windows log in
corresponding to her Linux login.  As she is not keen on doing that just
for me to prove a Linux point, that was as far as I go, but I found a lot of
info at:

http://us2.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection/

which is "The Official Samba-3 HOWTO and Reference Guide".  It has
a lot (and I mean a LOT) of information.

Tony Pursell