[SWLUG] Re: Motorola SB5100 cable modem

Julian Hall lists at kaotic.co.uk
Wed Mar 23 17:22:08 UTC 2005

Gerald Davies wrote:

>as secure as you make it ;-)

The Wifi router I have, Netgear FWG114P has Wifi, 128bit WEP encryption,
WPA, and even allows you to specify the MAC addresses of the computers
(NICs) allowed to connect to your network.  Plus it has four LAN ports
to wire computers into if you want a mixed network, and a print server.
On mine I have it configured so that only the two NICs I have bought can
connect to the network.  Not sure how much secure it can be (or needs to
be).

The two cards I have are Netgear WG511T 108Mb jobs that run lovely with
the router.  Although the router itself only supplies 54Mb (A,B and G)
that means if I upgrade in the future I can keep the cards :)

The only drawback is the online banking.  Historically the banks have
always (foolishly in my opinion) stuck rigidly to only allowing
customers to use Internet Explorer as their web browser, not making
their websites compatible with anything else, e.g. Firefox.  So you're
nailed to using IE with all its' many insecurities with WINE (if using
Linux) or trying to nail down the rest of MS's famously insecure
operating system.

Good luck!

Kind regards,

Julian