[SWLUG] How do I check operation of DNS system.

Neil Jones linlist2 at nwjones.demon.co.uk
Wed Mar 16 23:43:50 UTC 2005

On Wednesday 23 March 2005 15:02, justin at discordia.org.uk wrote:
> On 16 Mar, Neil Jones wrote:
> > I have finally taken the plunge and I am renting a server for my
> > websites. I am in the process of transfering them over but I am having
> > some problems with set up.
> >
> > I have set up named.conf and a zone file for one of the domains and named
> > is running.
> >
> > I have my secondary DNS else where.
>
> You need to get your IP address registered as a legitimate nameserver if
> you want to directly name it in the root records.
>
> An easier way around this is to get a couple of secondaries that are
> already registered, have them slave the records off your server, but
> then only list the secondaries in the root records.
>
> That way you avoid having to get yourself registered, but still get to
> be in direct control of the dns contents.
>
> Getting yourself registered can usually be done via your original domain
> registrar, or istr there used to be some forms to do it on network
> solutions website.

Thanks Justin and everyone else,

It turns out that there is a form to do this On the Godaddy site.
It is hidden behind a tab named domain host summary which isn't the most
explicit description. From the stuff on the page they don't like you doing
this which is why they seem to have obscured it.

Astonishingly the thing works almost and the parked web page is showing up on
my browser.

I'm leaving it there for now .It has been a terrible day. My grandmother died
this afternoon.

Neil Jones- Neil at nwjones.demon.co.uk