[SWLUG] U Storage devices

Stephanos stephanos at writeme.com
Wed Mar 30 20:38:21 UTC 2005

Dear Pete and Julian

Thanks for the reply.  I conducted a test using the same USB port and
the disgo is not recognised.  I went on to test using other USB ports as
well.  Same conclusion.  The "OTi6828UStorage" stick is seen wherever I
place it but not disgo.

However, if I keep the disgo in a port and reboot, it is seen and the
content is visable in /mnt/removable.  Nice.

So I read a lot via the
http://linux.about.com/od/commands/l/blcmdl5_fstab.htm website and came
up with the following.

1) Manually -  boot up without disgo in
1)  I made a directory to mount to: /mnt/disgo
2)  As root I tried to mount the stick/disgo
" [root at localhost stephanos]# mount -t auto /dev/sda1 /mnt/disgo
mount: special device /dev/sda1 does not exist"
[root at localhost stephanos]# "

Being creative and over confident I looked at fstab.
Below is the content of fstab.  The line numbers are added by me to show
where one line stop and another starts
1) /dev/hda6 / ext2 noatime 1 1
2) none /mnt/cdrom supermount
dev=/dev/hdc,fs=udf:iso9660,ro,--,umask=0,iocharset=iso8859-15,codepage=850,user
0 0
3) none /mnt/cdrom2 supermount
dev=/dev/hde,fs=auto,ro,exec,--,umask=0,user,iocharset=iso8859-15,codepage=850,users

0 0
4) none /mnt/floppy supermount
dev=/dev/fd0,fs=ext2:vfat,--,umask=0,iocharset=iso8859-15,sync,codepage=850
0 0
5) /dev/hda2 /mnt/windows vfat umask=0,iocharset=iso8859-15,codepage=850 0 0
6) none /proc proc defaults 0 0
7) /dev/hda5 swap swap defaults 0 0"

I added at the end an eigth line:
8) none /mnt/disgo supermount
dev=/dev/sda1,fs=auto,ro,exec,--,umask=0,user,iocharset=iso8859-15,codepage=850,users
0 0

Upon reboot without the disgo in, a new icon appears on the desktop.
After inserting the disgo and double clicking the icon - nothing.
Konqueror opens at /mnt/disgo but with not content.

The third test is to try to mount manually with this new line in fstab
"[root at localhost mnt]# mount -t auto /dev/sda1 /mnt/disgo
mount: permission denied
[root at localhost mnt]#"
This is at least a slight improvement on device does not exist - I think.
So I tried as a user:
"[stephanos at localhost mnt]$ mount -t auto /dev/sda1 /mnt/disgo
mount: only root can do that
[stephanos at localhost mnt]$"

I know I am close.  But I do not know what to do now

Ideally I want to be able to insert the disgo, click an Icon and view
the content in konqueror.

Any further assistance appreciated.

Stephen