[SWLUG] Anglo-welsh relations in the modern day

Rhys Hardwick rhys at rhyshardwick.co.uk
Tue Nov 8 15:41:41 UTC 2005

Hey there guys,

It seems this sort of thing comes up all the time, and so I apologise for
repeating anything.  I also know that this is not really the correct
domain for this, but I am having real difficulty finding any material on
this.

The problem lies here.  An english friend of mine said to me the other
day that one of the reasons for her not wanting to stay in wales is the
percieved dislike of the English by the Welsh.  I was a bit
flabbergasted.  I know it can  happen, sure, but I didn't think it was
a big thing.  Fighting over the rugby is commonplace also, but I have
always thought of it as being in good humour.

Does anyone have any views or information on this sort of thing.  Is
there really much dislike, hatred being far too strong a word in my
opinion?

As I say, I couldn't believe it.  Half of my family are Welsh, and none
of them have ever said a thing about the English.

Sorry if this sounds short sighted.  I know that there are several
differences in personality, culture, etc between the two nations.  I'm
not thinking of any sweeping statements here, just wondering what the
general opinion of the Welsh nation is.

Thanks for any help/guidance/views you can give me on this.

Rhys