[SWLUG] Re: New member Music composition

Edward Evans eje at edevans.uklinux.net
Sun Oct 9 20:01:51 UTC 2005

On Sun, 09 Oct 2005 20:40:05 +0100
Pete Phillips <pete at smtl.co.uk> wrote:

Hi Pete

>     Dick> I assume you've tried lilypond (http://www.lilypond.org)
>     then, but on the offchance you haven't - it's a music
>     typesetting system rather than a gui editor.
>
> Yep - in fact I have arranged some vocal music with lilypond - the
> layout is beautiful, but try arranging piano, keyboards, drums, bass,
> guitar, 2 saxophones and a trumpet with it :-)
>
>     Dick> I tend to use rosegarden's (http://www.rosegardenmusic.com/)
>     Dick> editor for the initial entry, and then export to the
>     lilypond format for tweaking by hand.  Works quite well for
>     the simple layouts I use it for.
>
> Rosegarden is OK but it is more akin to Cubase for score editing. It

I use Denemo as the gui for Lilypond. Its limited in what you can
do but it does a five part score nicely and the actual entry and
correction of notes is far better than Rosegarden or Notedit.  The
trouble is you have to get into the lilypond file to sort out the
details, and to make it print out the individual parts.

Edward