[SWLUG] introduction

Rhys Hardwick rhys at rhyshardwick.co.uk
Wed Oct 12 11:49:35 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-10-12 at 00:39 +0100, Matt Hill wrote:
> I'm not sure how free software friendly IHC are, certainly I've not
> heard of any direction coming from them on that matter, in fact there
> are plans afoot for an active directory forest to cover the whole of
> NHS Wales, and several of the core NHSW services have recently been
> migrated to windows boxes. Decidedly Microsoft friendly then?

That is a real shame.  It would be nice to know how long they have the
contracts for, because we sure as hell are not going to see open source
migration before the end.

> One of the main problems is the perceived lack of accountability.
> It's been the case for some time with NHSW that the people providing
> the money want someone outside the NHS to pin the blame on should
> anything go wrong. That's why the data network was outsourced instead
> of upgrading the already existing circuits (that and supporting 700
> GP surgeries would need a big team).

I agree with Steve here.  Microsoft do not give any accountability for
their software.  See these stories for some interesting stories on this
matter:

http://linux.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=05/09/30/1647225&from=rss

What they do get from Microsoft is paid support when something goes
wrong.  This can just as easily be bought from plenty of Linux vendors,
e.g. RHEL  I wish FUD would just go away! :)

> At this point I should introduce myself:
>
> My name is Matt, I tend to be called "Twpsyn" online. I currently
> work in the Data Networking team at Health Solutions Wales, part of
> Velindre Trust. My job is to look after the NHS Wales data and video
> networks, kick BT when things go wrong that they should be fixing,
> Cable & Wireless when it's their fault, and generally to make sure
> that the core of the network is a happy place for packets to move
> through. If you're on an NHS Wales network and you can't get to the
> internet, you can feel free to throw bricks at me.

Well, I'll remember you for when the networks go down if I'm in your
area!  You know what I'll say - "tell management to dump Microsoft"!

Rhys