[SWLUG] What to do if there is a problem at startup...

Rhys Hardwick rhys at rhyshardwick.co.uk
Sat Oct 22 15:40:56 UTC 2005

System - Gentoo Linux 2005.1

Hey there guys,

I have had to just recover from a problem with udev.  udevstart was
segfaulting, and so on startup, /dev was not populated.  Therefore, no
devices at all, therefore no login, no fixing the udev program.  Putting
'single' at the end of the kernel startup line in grub did no good.  I
fixed it by booting from the Gentoo live cd, and doing the following...

	# mount my main partition.
$ mount /dev/hda1 /mnt/gentoo

	# chroot into it
$ chroot /mnt/gentoo /bin/bash

	# mount the proc file system
$ mount -t proc none /proc

>From here, I got the latest portage update, and updated udev, which
fixed the problem.

I was wondering if this was the best way of recovering from a problem
like this.  Is there anything I should be wary of when chrooting into an
existing gentoo system?  Anything I shouldn't do?

Rhys