[SWLUG] What to do if there is a problem at startup...

Pete Phillips pete at smtl.co.uk
Sat Oct 22 17:02:06 UTC 2005

Hi Rhys

Can't speak for gentoo, but I've done exactly the same thing with Suse
and Redhat (6.* and 7.*) to fix various problems - boot into recovery
disks, chroot, and fix things.  I used to use Toms root disk with RH,
but not used that for a few years. When I've had problems with dev, I
have used the MAKEDEV program (it used to be in /dev itself I think, but
on my current SuSE (9.3) is /sbin/MAKEDEV).

I have used this to reconstruct a hosed /dev before, but it's been a few
years since I've needed to run it. YMMV :-)

BTW - it is a shell script, so it's worth lessing it to see what the
options are. Also, I am totally ignorant about how well it plays with
udev (I assume it does).

Pete