[SWLUG] Ubuntu box 'dies' when upgrade is run

Peter Prior swlug at nermal.org
Sat Sep 3 17:58:27 UTC 2005

Lo Dear :P

If you can't ls files as root thats .. erm.. bad..

try chmod 644ing the all the files in the dir (including the ones you
get permission denied on..)

Red normally means an invalid symlink (ie: one that points to a file
that no longer exists, but these seem to look like actual files :| )

You could try removing them (with -f perhaps) manually.  It could be
that your disk needs fsck'ing in which case do a:

mount -o remount,ro /

fsck.<whatever fs you're using> /dev/<whatever> and see what happens..
or do the same thing after booting single user with the "single" kernel
param

gl :P

Pete