[SWLUG] Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(3, 8)

Julian Hall lists at kaotic.co.uk
Wed Apr 5 21:18:41 UTC 2006

Neil Greenwood wrote:
> If you're trying to fix the Linux installation, I wouldn't mount the
> Windows partitions, just in case :-)
>
> Is /dev/hda2 the root partition that's broken? Can you remember what
> file system is on there?
Hi Neil,

hda10 has ext2, it's my /home partition
hda8 I'm pretty sure is where my root partition is, but the fstype says
"minix".  Is that some sort of ramdisk?  If so then I suspect the actual
hda8 is hosed.

> You might be able to find out using fdisk with the -l (lower-case L)
> option, on the whole disk (not the hda2 partition), like so:
>   fdisk -l /dev/hda
Thanks, I did that and that's how I found out the minix thing.
> You do have a backup, don't you ;-)
Erm.  Yes.  Erm.  Thing is it's a ghost image.  Not sure how old.  I'll
try looking at the partitions with Partition Magic and see what that
says - probably a lot of stuff involving the top row of keys and shift ;)

Cheers,

Julian