[SWLUG] Mandriva Printing Problem

Paul G. Richardson Paul.G.Richardson at logicacmg.com
Fri Apr 7 11:07:49 UTC 2006

Greetings and Salutations on a fine Friday morning ...

Having persuaded a friend of mine that the only sensible operating
system to install on her new shiny laptop would be a linux distro, I
went ahead and installed Mandriva 2006. At this point, there may be
utterances of "why the hell did you choose Mandriva" but lets just get
past that and move to the problem in hand that I plead for your help on.

Alas, her (friend) better half still prefers XP on his computer and he
has the printer attached. They now have a wireless access point so
printing from the laptop to XP machine was a trivial task to set up and
in no time, happy little KDE test pages were burbling from the printer.
Problem is, three days later the burbling no longer occurs despite the
laptops best efforts, ie. lpq declares documents in the print queue,
cups admin shows documents in its print queue.

When a document does print, the XP print queue does display it but when
a document fails to print it never makes it to the XP print queue. Thus,
the smb connection is failing for some reason and I have no idea why.
Connection is made via a valid XP user rather than anonymous/guest but
there is little to no info as the smb daemon is of course on XP and only
the smbclient is coming off Mandriva.

The config seems fine as it worked but something has changed as it now
does not. Thought I had solved it by reinstalling the printer in cups
but the problem has returned.

Any help, ideas, "you bloody well should have tried this before
bothering writing this mail!!" much appreciated.

Regards

Paul (a.k.a. phantomjinx)

--
*P.G. Richardson*