[SWLUG] Printing problems

Chris M. Jackson chriscf at gmail.com
Thu Apr 13 16:01:48 UTC 2006

On 4/13/06, Julian Hall <lists at kaotic.co.uk> wrote:

> Permissions.  As you know ./setup has to be run as root.  The problem
> with *that* is that having setup the printer as root, now the
> *bleep*ing thing won't print for anyone *BUT* root.  I've never had
> this problem before, so any ideas what I'm doing wrong?  I'm assuming
> it's me.. it usually is ;)

Wild guess (and I really do mean wild here - I'm not familiar with the
software in question), but perhaps something in the chain somewhere
might need the setuid or setgid bit set (see chmod(1)) so that it runs
as whoever owns it regardless of who actually starts it (insert usual
caveats about binaries set as setuid root here).

/* I did say it was a wild guess. */

--
Chris Jackson
Now with enhanced time-wasting capabilities