[SWLUG] Hello SWLUG

Kris Zani kriszani at iscavision.com
Thu Aug 3 20:48:01 UTC 2006

Hi Mark & welcome

just a couple of comments

while ubuntu is friendly it is aimed at the same market as windows and
as such requires a pretty hefty
amount of power to run well.  so if this old pc is not up to spec then
everything could be going
wrong based on that.

Linux for older hardware - while possible is not newbie friendly and the
distros for this purpose
are not very nice.

The best way forward with linux and ADSL is to get a router.  there are
some nice ones on the
market at the moment.   I bought a dlink one recently four port switched
ethernet with wifi and
adsl modem for about £45.  adds an extra firewall plus wireless - perfect.

if you don't get on with ubuntu then try Fedora or Suse.  everyone's
different

i use fedora on my servers, gentoo on my laptop and a suse live cd for
my friends when they bring
their broken windows boxes over for me to fix.

I'm in St Mellons so if things get really horrible help is never far away.

cheers

Kris