[SWLUG] Moving Linux

Glenn Booth d.glenn.booth at gmail.com
Mon Aug 28 21:37:13 UTC 2006

Hi,

On 28/08/06, Neil Greenwood <neil.greenwood.lug at gmail.com> wrote:

> You can definitely copy home with no ill-effects.

That raises an interesting point. Given that a whole bunch of apps now write
a ".something" file into /home/$USER, what's the best way to copy an old
/home directory to a new machine (I mean which command line switches for
a 'cp' or 'tar' command)?

Copying the documents, downloads etc. is easy enough, but couldn't it be
risky to just copy all the 'dot' files willy-nilly? .bashrc might come
through
unscathed, but stuff like Thunderbird probably won't (I've been there!)

I'd be tempted to back up all the 'dot' (hidden) files separately from the
'normal' files
and directories, and copy them (or the relevant bits) to the new install as
required. Am I being paranoid?

Regards,

Glenn.