[SWLUG] file transfer prevents internet working

Justin Mitchell justin at discordia.org.uk
Sat Dec 2 11:07:07 UTC 2006

On Sat, 2006-12-02 at 00:57 +0000, bascule wrote:
> whenever i'm transferring files between this machine and m,y server box, or
> burning some to dvd my im connections go down and web browsing crawls to a
> halt, is there a way to ensure that file transfer traffic doesn't eat up all
> the local bandwith? files are shared using nfs via 100mbit through a small
> switch, the nic is an onboard one on a nforce3 board, it's using the
> forcedeth driver

look at the QoS (Quality of Service) networking features, which you can
use to prioritise certain protocols, also handy to stop things like
bittorrent sucking everything and interfereing with your other uses.

See a site like this for suggestions: http://lartc.org/

or use a diffrent protocol which has options for bandwidth limiting
support. e.g.  scp -l