[SWLUG] Job as linux sys admin in Princess of Wales hospital Bridgend

Pete Phillips pete at smtl.co.uk
Wed Dec 13 15:36:25 UTC 2006

Steve Hill wrote:
>>From the description it certainly seems to be a very FOSS friendly
> environment.  Is it similar in other hospitals?  If so, I'm pretty
> impressed (actually, I'm pretty impressed anyway :)

  :-)

I suspect operations like ours in the NHS are few and far between. We
have always run our own IT (for about the last 20 years, starting with
System 5.2, through SunOS, SOlaris, and then Linux).  In fact we donated
our old CT miniframe running UNIX 5.2 to the Swansea Computer Society! I
think it may have been Alan who came around to pick it up one Saturday
morning.

Yes - we are FOSS friendly - we have a licensed version of Empress 4GL,
and 3-4 Windows machines (necessary because they are hooked up to
hardware, and there is no Linux alternative). Apart from that, I think
everything else is open source stuff.

Pete