[SWLUG] Lightning Talks Reminder

Chris M. Jackson chriscf at gmail.com
Sun Feb 5 18:57:59 UTC 2006

On 2/5/06, James <Diagmato at black0ps.com> wrote:
> Is it free to enter?
Absolutely.  Getting into the pub afterwards may be an issue for
under-18s (officially, the 'family' section closes at 9pm), though it
has very rarely been a problem in the past.

> Does everyone have to do a talk, or can we go there to watch?
While it may seem obvious to some, yes, you can just sit and watch if you like.

> My problem would be, if i did a talk, it wouldnt be anything new to
> anyone, possibly. Would hate to stand there for 5 mins talking about the
> obvious.
One of the basic rules about giving these talks is "never assume your
audience knows anything".  Chances are you'll find in the same room
both the seasoned experts who speak fluent ed(1) and people who maybe
haven't installed Linux at home yet.  Part of the idea behind the
5-minute thing is variety.  We've always tried to stress that the
talks don't have to be on deeply-technical topics.

> Also if i put my name down to come, is there any room for failure to
> arrive? It shouldnt happen, but i never know when im suddenly going to
> be badly ill again.
Not really an issue, except for people that are speaking, who I
imagine have the sense to let me know if they can't turn up at the
last minute.

Hope this answers your questions,

--
Chris Jackson
Now with enhanced time-wasting capabilities